One of the most frustrating parts of living in the DC, Maryland, and Virginia area is critter control. Deer, squirrels, and other critters love to snack on landscaping and damage gardens. If you are struggling with squirrel control on your property, here are some of our best tips for getting the problem under control.
Why Are There So Many Squirrels?
Tree squirrels are the most common variety found in yards throughout the DC metropolitan area, and they are known for sneaking into attics and causing damage to homes over time. Their numbers greatly outweigh the numbers of their predators, and construction has forced them out of the woods and into new developments. As a result, squirrels try to seek shelter in attics and homes.
Easy Ways to Control Squirrels on Your Property
Thankfully, there are many simple things that you can do for critter control on your property, including:
- Don’t put any food outside of your home to entice squirrels, including unsecured compost piles and bird seed
- Invest in gutter guards and downspout covers to reduce the places that squirrels can gain a foothold on your roof
- Don’t waste time and money putting out poison traps for squirrels, as there are no poison baits that can kill squirrels
- If you are interested in relocating the squirrels, place them in places that have known foraging traffic and check your local regulations first. If you do catch any squirrels in your humane trap, make sure that you relocate them at least 4-5 miles away, otherwise they will be right back before you know it.
- If you have a squirrel in your attic, the only way to ensure that you have gotten rid of it is by safely trapping it and relocating it.
- After your squirrel problem is gone, then you can safely seal up, repair, and plug any holes or entry points to your attic.
Have an Animal Inside of Your Home That Shouldn’t Be There? Give Us a Call!
Shumaker’s Animal Control has over 25 years of experience in the animal and pest control field. Whatever your problem, we can help remedy the situation and restore your home (or yard) back to normal. Give us a call at (443) 854-8072 or contact us online today to see how we can help you! For more information on household and neighborhood pests and how to protect your family, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+.