Here in Maryland, we have a wide range of wildlife that spans every single one of our ecosystems. From the Chesapeake Bay shorelines, to the mountains near Deep Creek, the various animals and plants that we see are important and fascinating. In order to understand why animals need to be humanely relocated when they find their way into your yard, you should become familiar with what kinds of wildlife you might be dealing with. Here’s a quick overview of some species you may encounter.
- Eastern Cottontail: These are the rabbits you see most of the time, as they are a common species. But you may also confuse them with swamp rabbits, as they are almost identical. They appear in just about every habitat.
- White Tailed Deer: Unfortunately, most people are familiar with deer because they come into contact with them (violently) on the road. But these deer are very populous and are large hunting targets. In Maryland, they like to stick to rural areas, but will occasionally wander into suburbs to search for food.
- Red Fox: If you’ve ever heard a loud and terrifying scream in the middle of the night, chances are, it’s probably a red fox. They can sound scary but they’re ultimately harmless to humans. A fox with mange, however, can be a huge problem, and you’ll want to have that removed immediately.
- Great Blue Heron: This species of heron is actually found all over the state, not just on coastal areas. They’re tall, with long necks and long legs, and tend to wade in shallow waters. They use their extremely long beaks to fish. They are also easily startled, so snap your pictures quickly!
- Blue Jay: They’re easy to spot because of their bright blue coloring. Blue Jays are out all year, so during the winter, they show up starkly against snow. Leave a birdfeeder out if you’re eager to see them.
- Black Vulture: They don’t look very pleasant, but they’ll eat the dead carcasses in your yard without complaint. Vultures are large birds, and mostly hang around the Eastern parts of Maryland.
Control the wildlife in your yard by calling Shumaker’s Animal Control!
Call Shumaker Animal Control today. Shumaker Animal Control is a twenty-five-year veteran of the animal and pest control profession. We are the Kingsville rodent control experts and can help you return your house to a cozy pest-free home. If you have any questions about raccoon removal or other rodent control, contact Shumaker Animal Control by calling (443) 854-8072 or click here today! You can also follow us at our Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.