When homeowners suspect they have animal pests in their homes, they often resort to poisons. We believe in humanely trapping and relocating nuisance animals, because both they and the homeowners can live happily as long as it’s not under the same roof. But there’s another, more practical reason why poison is not a good idea.
A recent client illustrated why poison causes more problems than it solves when it comes to animal pests. The client used poison to get rid of raccoon living in the attic. The poison succeeded in killing the raccoon, but failed to get rid of it. The dead animal fell behind a downstairs bathroom wall where it began to decompose. It took us two hours and six holes in the wall before we could find the carcass and remove it.
In the end, it would have been better just to contact us from the beginning. Poison might be cheaper than our fee, but dealing with its aftereffects just isn’t worth it.